07 February 2006

Travelling - just Nathan and me!

Ahhhh, finally something exciting to report. It started very early on a Thursday morning. First I dragged myself out of bed. Then I dragged everyone else out of bed. We got ourselves into the car and on our way

to ...



the ....


airport!

Paul, though sad to miss the trip, was gracious enough to care for Emily while I took Nathan on a trip cross country.
OOOOOOOOOOH, it was FUN! We got to our gate, just in time to find out that it wasn't our gate and our flight (which was clear over on the other side of Terminal 3, of course) was delayed.
Undaunted, I hustled Nathan and our carry-on gear over there. Our plane was 2 hours delayed. "Oh. Now what do I do with a four year old in an airport for 2 hours. Oh, right, this is Nathan. We watch planes!" And we did. For 25 minutes. Then we went to the book store, had snacks, played with trucks, and read books until our plane arrived.
Just before we were called to board (yay for pre-boarding courtesies with small kids!), Nathan said, with a worried look on his face, "Mommy, I don't think I want to go on the plane. I don't want my ears to pop." "Too late now, honey. We're here and we have to go. It will be okay." They called us to board. Nathan asked if it was time to go to the gate. "Yes," I said. I didn't see his face until we got to the doorway of the gate. I looked and saw that face. You know, the face that thrills us all to the insides of our bones. Full of wonder and excitement. It filled me with wonder and excitement, too.
The actual flight was very pleasant. Nathan is a great traveller, and how could he not be, with a TV screen no more than a foot and a half from his face! I still managed to limit his viewing to an hour on the almost four hour flight. WHew! Besides, he needed time to open and enjoy his plane presents.
I really enjoyed the flight. I loved seeing the clouds from the other side and the fields of white cut through with dark lines that I assumed were roads. It was sunny, warm and very nice to get away.
Once we arrived, we were met by my friend Sarah. She and her husband Ryan were our hosts for our trip.
Oh, didn't I tell you where we were going?
Hee.

Calgary.

2 comments:

Sue said...

yipppppppyyyyy
you are tripping! :) what fun! how i miss you dear one, take care of yourself!

give the kiddies a hug for me.

talk to you soon.
fromsue

Robyn said...

Glad you had such a great trip. Now you gotta put up some pictures of said trip!

Hope you are feeling better.